Saturday, January 26, 2008

HR Leave Application system

I find it hard to accept that an IT company with so many tech-savvy employees, would stick to a paper-based leave application system.But , such is the case at my firm.I have taken-upon myself to computerize the system for the benefit of both staff & the environment.And following the precepts of Fred Brooks I will:
  1. Steer clear of re-inventing the wheel
  2. get it FREE
The office currently uses Google Calender to track which employees are on leave & for what period.However this method:
  • Requires double data-entry
    • Employee fills-out form
    • HR Staff validates request and inputs to Gcalender
  • prone to human-error
  • Paper-intensive
I'm looking into using Google Calender's API in conjunction with Cake PHP provide a solution to our HR woes.

No comments: